7:42 PM

The Inexperienced Expert Goes BELLY DANCING

So I am a person who is terrified of trying new things. I am constantly worried that I am being judged, or even laughed at by others. Seriously, I think I am a junior higher in a 32 year old's body. I have decided that I am done with that, however. There is too much out there that is absolutely fascinating to be held back any more. So my first adventure, small as it may be, was to sign up for Belly Dancing lessons, because, well, it just sounded fun.

The first night I had butterflies in my stomach all day. They needed a minimum number of people in the class to keep it open, so I kept waiting for a call. Okay, secretly I wanted a call. It was a freezing cold day, and it had ice rained the night before. I didn't have to go until the evening, but it was still a good excuse. I knew that if I let myself have an excuse, though, I would never go. I went, driving slowly and tense. I hate not knowing where I am going, and I was unsure of the way. It was dark and the roads were slippery. I thought as I was driving how the silence would have been a refreshing change, if not for the roads. I found my way without incident, though, and as I pulled open the doors to the building and stepped into the warmth, I knew something had just changed.

The class had not started, and the advanced class danced on the other side of windowed doors. The early comers watched nervously and excitedly together. They chatted in a friendly, stranger to stranger kind of way, and I found myself having commonalities already. By the time that class started, the butterflies were dissipating, and only the fun and excitement was being left.

The class was exhausting. We drilled hip hits in all directions. I was sweating, which I hadn't, sad to say, done in months. My arms were about to fall off. My arms? Yes. I never realized, or thought about the fact that belly dancers hold there arms out in a T, the whole time they are dancing. My arms, shoulders, sides, and legs were all screaming at me by the end of class. It was wonderful. I am not one to relish pain, but it was just what I needed to feel real again.

We ended class with Yoga, quietly coming into ourselves. I found myself struggling to find quiet. Instead my mind was jumping between things I wanted to do, and thinking about my family at home. I realized how much I needed to start living in the moment, and I have started practicing it every day since then. I have had one more class since my first. The roads were clear and we learned a dance, rather than just drills. I chatted again with people I really didn't know, but it didn't really matter. I had fun, sweat, danced, smiled, laughed, struggled, looked silly, and didn't once care what anyone else thought of me. It was a wonderful day, and I am glad I went.

Now for my next challenge.......the guitar. :) Any other suggestions? Let me know. I am up for almost anything. I'll try it out, tell you how it goes, and then you can decide if it is still something you would enjoy.

0 comments: